The first official “total art” event as defined by Cirkulacija 2 initiative at the end of 2009/ beginning of 2010. Will continue regularly for the next four years. The plan is basically: three week long events per year with international crew – variable in individuals – of around five core and additional 5 to 10 people. It is a continuation of previous events – starting from 2006 (Intermediate Spaces festival) and going on from then on progressively – the previous event at Alkatraz gallery Ljubljana was already defined as a “total event”.
Participants: Boštjan Leskovšek, Borut Savski, Stefan Doepner, Neven Korda, Monika Glahn, Milan Kristl, Marko Gabrijelčič, Jakob, Iva Tratnik, Elisa and some more of the regular visitors to the activities – Katja, etc…
Photos by: Boštjan Leskovšek, Milan Kristl, Marko Gabrijelčič, Borut Savski,…
The initiative Cirkulacija 2 in the week of 27. – 31st July 2010 for the third time took part of the new music festival Sajeta near Tolmin. The program of the festival can be observed at http://www.sajeta.org.
All the bradcasts=netcasts were dropped once it was clear that the selected provider (Si-mobil/ Vodaphone) was not covering well-enough the area around Tolmin. It seems that the other provider would be better (Telekom Mobitel) but our application for their sponsorship was rejected.
You can watch the multimedia archives at http://www.3via.org/video
In accordance to the newly established doctrine of the total art – meaning especially the establishment and the functioning of the platform on all possible stages – the actions and activities are branching far and encompassing new-media approaches, music, video, sound, discussions, self-organisation on all levels, cooperation and communication and participation among the present and other participants and the organisers of the festival. One could say that the functionality is introduced – but not servility. Adaptability to ever-changing real-time situations and needs is in the focus. All the described forms – some of them clearly identifined as art – some not – are there as potentiallities – they can happen or not. The new slogan is: the platform is the art piece!
The series of “total platforms” of Cirkulacije 2 is co-financed by the Ministry of Culture of Republic of Slovenia.
These were the basic ideas for cooperation of Cirkulacija 2 at the Sajeta 2010 festival:
Inner core crew of Cirkulacija 2 at Sajeta were these individuals: Stefan Doepner, Boštjan Leskovšek, Borut Savski, Monika Glahn (Berlin) and Neven Korda. These were the recipients of (symbolic) honorariums. Their responsability was to keep the platform up and going.
1. We arrived on monday, 26th of july, raising up the tent-laboratorium kindly obtained by Projekt Atol – the mini Makrolab – at the last year’s location, plus the additional construction – baldahin – as the little stage. Transport was performed by Kooperativa from ex-Rog factory and some additional individuals. The lab was ready by the end of the day.
2. It was agreed to enter in a kind of permanent cooperation with the Radio Student people – regarding the food, etc. – and also possible direct netcasts to Radio Student Ljubljana, but nothing came out of it, since the radio people were not present this year. Still, other people joined in – for food, ticket and sleeping space – so the number of temporary social structure was well over 10.
3. Cirkulacija 2 had a performance at their little stage location on thursday, 29th july at 21.30. A multimedia situation was created with 3 projections (Neven, Borut, Monika, Boštjan), three main electronic sounds sources (Stefan, Boštjan, Borut), a vocalist (Iva Tratnik) and acoustic musician (Milan). Additional to that was a concert performance by Bogdana Herman and Borut Savski – Newly composed slovene folk songs – on wednesday, 28th of July. More here http://www.3via.org/novoljudske/index… . Bogdana Herman appeared last year as part of Cirkulacija 2 performance at Sajeta, other collabortations with some of the same people are within the project group Etnobanda (http://www.3via.org/etnobanda/).
4. There were some other ideas how some of the Cirkulants could take part in everydays’ concerts – like providing the live VJ-ing – but this did not happen. It remains an idea from a year back – to be realized at some event in the future. Neven Korda performed his video workshops in the space of C2 lab and the results of it were shown on the last day of the festival – on saturday, 31st July.
Selected sound materials will be available soon here.
About some of the participants:
organisation of the event; real-time video montage – especially with various approaches to generirative video and audio. He also focused on wednesday concert with Bogdana Herman, that went through good – considering it was performed for the first time. Tried to deal with netcasts – audio and video – internet, etc. but did not succeed.
within the framework of creative workshops of Sajeta, he did a video workshop based on real-time video software He took care of video projections during all the nights at Cirkulacija lab.
generative video and audio, sound gadgets; together with Stefan: builder of the Cirkulacija 2 PA distributed sound system
microphones in the river, distributed sound system, other sound sources – especially “der kleine Oskar”
Monika Glahn (berlin)
monika glahn (berlin), artist. early works besides graphics painting camera obscura focused on installations and artistic interventions. she entered the world of collaborative projects actively in the early 90ies by joining the project k77 (‘squatting-as-art’). since the mid-90ies work in the field of new media, creation of and participation in experimental independent collaborative platforms for cultural production and exchange (e.g. XLR, group 42, hexpo), workshops in the frame of artistic projects, for cultural institutions and in the context of youth projects.
concerning ‘my part’:
– i would come with some visual and soundmaterial and see how it can connect with what you are doing and with the context/environment there.can be something between ‘installation’ and peformative participation.
– and the flute workshop if there is interest – this will go on playful side, how to build simple instruments out of the material that is available, can also imagine to make a simple flute chorus with the participants there and whoever likes to join, which is not intended to be ‘on stage’ but rather performative interlude(s) that in some way correspond with the situation there – its to see there.
– during the practical activities i can provide stories and information on the traditional shakuhachi-hocchiku (cultural, which includes as well ‘technical’ aspects of the instruments and instrument-building as the cultural background) and ja the streaming i can participate in of course, as well as what concerns the building of the technical platform or tent or whatever is needed.
Monika focused on visualisations: she made her photo-mixer-morpher patch (with Pure data GEM) which was used on the projection screens. On saturday she played the flute to Bostjan’s algorithmic sound system.
Participation of Monika Glahn was co-financed by a partnership of Sajeta festival, Goethe Institute Ljubljana and the Culture club of Economy for Culture (Kulturni klub Gospodarstvo za kulturo).